Sunday, March 12, 2006

After Thinking About It...

I still feel Bob Davidson, the home plate umpire, made the wrong call. The only thing I'm going to change about my opinion is that perhaps they did not over rule it based on Buck Martinez's argument. Perhaps Davidson is just the one who didn't think Tsuyoshi Nishioka waited long enough to tag up. That's how it's being reported anyway. I mean, that's still a bad call, and it's not good for the WBC, but it is much better than having the call changed because a manager argued the fact.

The problem I have with this is that it seemed like Davidson had plenty of time to overrule the 2nd base umpire Brian Knight's 'safe' call at third base. Perhaps he didn't. I wasn't there. I just watched it live on ESPN2. But Davidson is also the umpire that was fired back in 1999 and wasn't reinstated to MLB until 2004. And his strike zone was all over the place during this particular game. And he doesn't have a great track record. I don't know, but either way it's still not good and I hope it doesn't come back to haunt the WBC later on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sports Blog Top Sites